The 2019 Alice was awarded to the Halsey Institute of Contemporary Art, College of Charleston for the book Southbound: Photographs of and about the New South. Edited by Mark Sloan and Mark Long and published by the Halsey Institute of Contemporary Art.
The Alice 2019 jury:
- R.O. Blechman, Illustrator
- Teresa Carbone, Program Director for American Art, Henry Luce Foundation
- Paula Cooper, Director, Paula Cooper Gallery
- David R. Godine, Publisher
- Sharon Helgason Gallagher, President & Publisher, Artbook/D.A.P.
- Ian Wardropper, Director, Frick Collection
- Chair: Jock Reynolds, Former Director, Yale University Art Gallery
The Alice was presented by Joan K. Davidson on October 2019 in New York City.
The Alice 2019 short list:
- Artists and Their Books/Books and Their Artists by Marcia Reed and Glenn Phillips. Getty Research Institute, Los Angeles, CA
- Caravans of Gold, Fragments in Time: Art, Culture, and Exchange across Medieval Saharan Africa.
Edited by Kathleen Bickford Berzock. Mary and Leigh Block Museum of Art, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL